QuickBooks error that we will talk about today in this segment is QuickBooks Update Error 15240. This error falls under the 15000 series category. QuickBooks Error 15240 is simply a payroll update error that occurs when the update process is hindered for some reason. This error can not only interrupt the process but can also freeze the system for a few seconds, which can be annoying. So here we will provide brief information about this problem and help you fix it to solve it. So, keep scrolling and read the entire article to get rid of this problem once and for all. If you don’t have the knowledge to implement these solutions yourself, you can seek help from our QuickBooks ProAdvisors and they will guide you through performing the fixes correctly. Call us at +1-888-351-0999 and discuss your questions with the experts now.
What is QuickBooks Error 15240?
QuickBooks error 15240 may appear when you try to download a software update. This error can also disrupt the work and can be encountered frequently. There can be several factors that lead to this error which we will cover in more detail in this article. This error appears on the screen with a warning message stating:
|Warning:||QuickBooks error 15240: HRESULT XXXXX the QuickBooks updated did not complete successfully|
|Warning:||QuickBooks error 15240: HRESULT XXXXX the payroll update did not complete successfully|
You might further encounter errors like: File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program and Internet connection error: unknown error that can be easily rectified using the QuickBooks file doctor tool.
What can cause QuickBooks Error 15240?
This error can be caused by a number of reasons mentioned below.
- You are not using the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- You are logged in as a Windows administrator, or you are not running the application as an administrator.
- The specified download link is incorrect or invalid but the download still works.
- Using QuickBooks multi-user mode in terminal services settings.
- Windows is corrupted or the registry file is corrupted.
- QuickBooks updates may be corrupted.
What are the Signs and symptoms of QuickBooks error 15240?
It is important that you check the signs and symptoms listed below to identify QuickBooks error code 15240.
- QuickBooks is Unable to install the latest update.
- Updating your payroll failed.
- If you cannot run payroll in your QuickBooks
Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 15240
Here are the 7 DIY steps that can permanently eliminate QuickBooks Update Error 15240.
Solution 1: Run your QuickBooks with administrator rights
You need to follow the steps below to run QuickBooks with administrator rights.
- The first step is to access the QuickBooks icon on the desktop and right-click on it.
- You must select the Run as administrator option.
- Then open properties and check compatibility for all users.
Solution 2: Check Internet Explorer settings
The steps involved in this procedure are as follows:
- To start, you need to select the gear icon and then select Internet Options.
- You need to access the advanced tab.
- In the Security tab, you need to select Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0.
- The final step in this process is to select Apply and then press the OK button.
Solution 3: Testing Third-Party Firewalls
The steps for testing third-party firewalls are as follows:
- Consult the third-party firewall developer for instructions on the settings adjustment procedure and allow QuickBooks to download and install updates.
- Also, make sure that the following files have access permissions to bypass the firewall:
- You must also check whether ports 80 and 443 are disabled.
You can also check this out: How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Error 557?
Solution 4: Check system date and time settings
- For this, you have to select display time on the system and then select settings to change the date and time.
- Set the correct date and time.
- Also, select the Apply and OK options.
Solution 5: Reinstall the software using the Clean Installation Tool
The steps to perform a fresh installation of QuickBooks Desktop are as follows:
- First, uninstall the QuickBooks desktop system.
- Rename installation folders by downloading and running the QuickBooks Clean Install tool.
- Reinstall QuickBooks software.
- You can also run the clean installation tool directly from the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
Solution 6: Verify that security software settings are set correctly
- Typically, security software and anti-malware software can interfere with QuickBooks operation, leading to this issue.
- You will need to make sure to configure the software settings and smoothly handle the process in QuickBooks.
Related Article: How to Fix QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error?
Solution 7: Add Windows permissions to QuickBooks Installation Folder
This is the final method by which you can add Windows permissions to the QuickBooks Installation Folder by following the steps below:
- First, close your QuickBooks.
- Access C: \Program Files\. And for 64-bit use, C: Program Files (x86).
- Right-click the Intuit folder, then select the Properties option.
- Now go to the Security tab and then select Advanced Options.
- You must ensure that the owner of the folder is the user group.
- Otherwise, you will need to become the owner of the Intuit folder by following the steps below:
- Select Edit next to the owner name in the advanced security settings window.
- Enter the user in the Enter object name to select the field, then select the control name as well.
- The next step is to press the OK button.
- Also, mark replace owners on sub-containers and objects.
- Once done with that, hit the Apply and OK tabs.
- Select the users on the permissions Window and then click on the full control option.
- Select the Apply and OK tab.
- You should try downloading the updates, and if the error repeats, then carry out the above steps for the following folders:
- C: \Program Files\Common Files\Intuit
- (64-bit users) C: \Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit
- C: \ProgramData\Intuit
- C: \Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Intuit
You might find this helpful: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 12157?
We hope the steps mentioned above will be of great help to you. Troubleshooting QuickBooks Error 15240 is not too difficult if you have technical knowledge. Just carefully follow the steps mentioned in this blog, it will solve this problem and you can get back to work. If you have difficulty completing these steps, please contact our customer support team. Our technical experts will contact you and help you resolve this issue. To contact our experts, dial our helpline +1-888-351-0999.
Frequently Asked Questions
QuickBooks error 15240 accompanies several descriptions, indicating an incomplete payroll update, company file error, or internet connectivity issues.
The following Windows OS may face the severe wrath of QuickBooks Error 15240:
1. Windows Vista
2. Windows 8
3. Windows XP
4. Windows 10
5. Windows 7
6. Windows ME
7. Windows 2000
Error code 15000 comprises different errors, all of which are related to the update process in QuickBooks. These errors appear as distinct error codes and halt the update process altogether.
QuickBooks Error 15240 can be fixed by:
1. Run QuickBooks as Administrator.
2. Configure the firewall settings.
3. Clean Install the QuickBooks Desktop.
4. Configure the Internet settings.
5. Set the correct date and time.
Other Related Articles to Read: