Here are the 7 simple ways to fix QuickBooks Error -6190 and -816 like a pro:
Accounting software is one of the essential tools organizations use to manage their businesses. Monitoring the cash flow, tracking expenses, preparing taxes and a lot many other things can’t be performed accurately without it. Not only it is essential but also every organization enjoys a great deal of ease with handling and managing accounting requirements. QuickBooks is one such software that is preferred by a majority of business owners and accountants. The real problem arises with the fact that when these software which are quite essential for any company start popping up errors, it becomes a great hassle in its own terms.
For QuickBooks Desktop, Error -6190 and -816 are the ones that act the same way. So, today in this article, we will talk about how to fix Error -816 and -6190. Thus, make sure that you read this article carefully till the end. Moreover, we recommend you to consult a professional, if you are dicey with the basics of QuickBooks or if you feel resolving this error is out of your league. You can give us a call at our toll-free number 1-888-351-0999, and ask our QuickBooks premier support team to assist you in the process of getting rid of QuickBooks error 6190 and 816. Feel free to call us anytime, our ProAdvisors will be happy to help you.
You may also see: What are the steps to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 80070057?
What is Error codes -6190 and -816 in QuickBooks?
Most of the errors that occur in QuickBooks Desktop software are because of the simple fact that it comes with a great number of updates. So, with each update, the tools and functions change and this change sometimes create an issue with the existing settings as well the company file in which the entire data of the organisation is backed up.
Specifically speaking, Error code -6190 and -816 come up in the system when a user tries to log in the company file in a single user mode. Now, there are a handful of methods using which one can fix their system from these errors. But, to ensure that the users will be able to get the problem resolved once and for all, we will discuss a single method. We will break it in steps so that it will offer a complete guarantee of fixing this issue completely with the ease of understand-ability.
Reasons behind QuickBooks error 6190
- The user might face the issue, in case of update failure in the software
- Or, if there is data corruption in the software and the company file
- The user can also end up in the error 690 if the transaction log file doesn’t match with the company file
- In case the user won’t be able to access the files, in case the company files are stored in the read only network folder. It might also cause QB error code 6190, -819
- Also, if the user is trying to open the company file in the single user mode
- In case the transaction log file doesn’t match the company data file, then this kind of error could be seen
Simple and Credible Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
Following are the steps a user will need to go through completely in order to fix QuickBooks Error code -6190 and -816. So let’s get started:
Step 1: Downloading and Installing QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Start with closing QuickBooks
- Visit Intuit’s website and download QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Select the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions in order to install the tool
- Once the installation is completed, double click on the icon on the Windows home screen to open the tool.
Step 2: Run QuickBooks Tool Hub and Quick fix the file
- Once the Tool Hub is running, select the Company File Issues tab on the top of the screen
- Select the option Quick Fix my file
- Click on OK and let the software complete the process, once done launch QuickBooks Desktop
Step 3: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
- Under the tool hub, you will also be able to find the tool named QuickBooks File Doctor. Select the Company file issue tab.
- Run QuickBooks File Doctor, it will take up to one to two minutes
- Once done, select the company file, or you can select the Browse and Search option to find the company file
- Now, select the Check your file option and press on Continue
- Lastly, enter your QB admin password and then click on Next to run the process
Step 4: Choose the issue type
- Users will come across two options if they are using any version which came after QB Desktop 2011. So, the users need to choose the right option from the below mentioned two:
- Open the file in a newer version of QuickBooks: In this case, the tool will open the company file in any version of QuickBooks which is either QuickBooks 2011 or later
- Repair the file in your existing version: This option will fix the existing version of QuickBooks.
You may see also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 15222?
Step 5: Update the software and Backup files
- Once you have completed all the steps which are mentioned above, you will need to update QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to Help menu of the menu bar and then click on the option of Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, navigate to the options tab and then choose the mark all option and then hit save
- After that move to the update now tab and also mark the reset update box
- Also, choose the get updates tab
- And then, when the message update complete displays on the screen, then close QuickBooks
- The next step is to reopen QuickBooks. In case the user gets the message to install the update, then hit Yes
- After the installation is complete, reboot the system
Note: It is always advised to regularly run Updates and verify and rebuild data in order to save the system from crashing and facing errors.
Step 6: Rename the company file
The user needs to ensure that the system used should be the one having the company file. After that, he/she needs to rename the files. This won’t cause the data loss. The steps involved in renaming the file are as follows:
- For this, the user needs to open the company folder
- And then, the transaction log file and company file will have the same name but different extensions. Let us take an example, the company file will be named as [company name] .qbw.nd and a transactions log file will be named as [company file name].qbw.tlg. The user needs to identify the company file out of the two. This is the only confusing part of renaming the file.
- After that, right click the company file and choose the rename option. Also, enter any new name or ad OLD at the end
- The user needs to ensure to avoid deleting extension or .qbw.nd from the end
- Also, rename the transaction log file without omitting the extension
- And then, exit the system
- Lastly, open QuickBooks and make an attempt to login the company file
Read this also: What is the solution of QuickBooks error 1321?
Step 7: Update the Windows
Updating the windows operating system is recommended as it prevent the user from security breches that may cause the installation issues.
- The very first step is to visit the start menu
- After that click on the settings option and then choose the update and security option
- The next step is to open the windows update tab
- And then click on the check for update tab. In case, there are any updates available, then it will be downloaded automatically
- Lastly, the user needs to reinstall the QuickBooks software after the install completes
Read also: Fix QuickBooks crash com error in 6 steps
So, this is the step by step method using which you or any user can fix QuickBooks Error code -6190 and -816. In case, even after following all the aforementioned steps, the error is not fixed, contact our team of QB experts and we will be glad to assist you with any QB related issue. We hope that you find this article helpful. Please contact us if you have any more questions. Give us a call at our toll-free number i.e. 1-888-351-0999, and let our QuickBooks support team handle the issue on your behalf.