Are you looking for the process to create a portable version of company file? Well, if yes, then reading this article further would be of great assistance. In this article, we will be discussing the step by step process to create and open portable company files in QuickBooks desktop. If you want to share the accounting data and move it to another system, then creating a portable company file is recommended. A portable file is basically a compact version of the company file, which is small enough to send in an email or put on a USB. To know more about creating and opening a portable company file to quickly move the data or fix issues, make sure to read this article ahead.
Or you can also get in touch with our QuickBooks professionals and ask them for further technical assistance. Our experts and certified ProAdvisors will ensure to provide you with immediate technical assistance.
You may also like: Convert a QuickBooks for Windows file to QuickBooks for Mac
Steps to create and open a portable company file to quickly move the data or fix issues
The steps to create and open portable company file are as follows:
Step 1: Updating QuickBooks Desktop
Before starting, the user needs to update QuickBooks to the latest version.
Step 2: Create a backup
In order to share or move accounting data around and when you don’t need a full backup, portable company files work great. A portable company file isn’t any replacement for a full backup. Also, it doesn’t include the message templates, logos, images, or templates. Moreover, it doesn’t include: .tlg or .log files, loan manager, statement writer, or fixed asset manager files. The user can complete the back up the company files, and follow the steps to create a backup company file.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6150, 1006?
Step 3: Creating a portable company file
- The user can open QuickBooks and log in as an admin
- And then, move to the file menu and choose create copy
- Also, choose portable company file and hit next
- Once done with that, the user needs to assign a name to the file.
- And then choose a location to save the portable company file. And pick somewhere that’s easy to spot, like windows desktop.
- After that, select Save and hit OK button.
Step 4: Opening a portable company file
In order to open a portable version of company file:
- The user will have to open QuickBooks and log in as an admin
- After that, move to the file menu and choose open or restore company
- The next step is to select restore a portable file and choose next
- Now, select the portable company file. And then select open.
- After that read the notes on the where do you want to restore the file page and then hit next
- The last step is to select save, once you are ready to open the file.
When the user opens the file, QuickBooks will automatically re-index the data. And this will fix the issues.
By the end of this article, it is expected that the user will be well versed with the process to create and open portable company files in QuickBooks desktop. However, if you face any difficulty or in case of any query, or if you need any sort of technical assistance, give us a call at our toll-free customer support number i.e. 1-888-351-0999. And our QuickBooks desktop support team and ProAdvisors, will ensure to provide you with immediate technical assistance.