Learn what is QuickBooks Error 6189 and how you see can resolve it
QuickBooks software is a vital accounting tool that help the businesses worldwide. It serves numerous features such as payroll, invoice & report generation, tax filing, and much more. However, according to a survey it has been seen that it gets easily infected by QuickBooks Error code 6189, 816. Thus, we are making an attempt so that you can easily resolve it swiftly with manual steps. If you need immediate help – you can get in touch with the QuickBooks premier support team anytime.
QuickBooks Error Code 6189 816 is also commonly known as ‘runtime error’. This error code usually arises while the Company file opens or runs. When this error code appears you may see the following error message on your desktop screen:
“An error occurs when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816),”
Article to read: How to Fix QuickBooks error 3371?
Reasons behind QuickBooks Company File Error 6189 816
- If the multi-user mode isn’t upgraded in the QuickBooks.
- Network Attached Storage drive stores the data file.
- Removable device stores the data.
- If the QB user doesn’t run or operate the QuickBooks database correctly.
- Online automatic backup tool also tends to lead this error.
- Use of encrypted software with the QuickBooks also cause this error.
- Due to loss of data via Database Manager.
- Your QuickBooks desktop isn’t updated to latest.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816
- Loss of connection with the QuickBooks Company files.
- QuickBooks user become unable to open/access the QB Company files.
- While the user is opening the previous version QB Company file in the new version incorrectly.
- System freezes suddenly that leads the system to act unresponsive.
- The machine unable to take or read command to open/access the necessary programs.
Read Also: How to solve QuickBooks has Stopped Working or Not Responding Issues?
Troubleshooting Methods for QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816
If you are troubling with QuickBooks error code 6189, 816 and looking for the solution for it then you can checkout the following Info-graphic and get the complete information about this error. However, we have shared other fixation methods below the info-graphic image.
You can use these manual steps in order to resolve the error code 6189, 816 in QuickBooks.
Solution 1: Use QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- First of all you need to download the QuickBooks file doctor tool from here.
- Once the QuickBooks file doctor tool downloaded, Install and Run this tool on your system where the QB is installed.
Note: QB file doctor tool will automatically detect the problem in your company file and try to resolve it automatically.
Solution 2: Open a sample company file
- First Open your QuickBooks application.
- Now go to the “No Company Open window” and then click on “Open a Sample File“
- Select the “Random company file“.
- Now repair your QuickBooks installation files, if still the same error message encounters on your desktop screen
- If the sample file opens then you can proceed to the “Next” solution.
Note: By opening a sample company file we have just tested whether the problem is with your company file or with the QuickBooks software.
Solution 3: Close all QuickBooks Processes
- At first you need to Log in as “System Administrator” on the server hosted computer.
- Now open the “Task Manager“. To open it press “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” keys together.
- After that choose the Users to see all the processes started by all users.
- Now choose all QuickBooks processes like “QBW32.exe, qbupdate.exe, QBDBMgr.exe“.
- Then hit a click on “End Task“.
- Finally Open the company file in “Multi-User mode“.
Solution 4: Download and Install QB Refresher Tool
The QBrefresher tool can help you to fix this error. Follow the steps to
- First of all you need to Download QuickBooks Refresher Tool from Intuit official site.
- After that save the file on your system.
- Hit a click downloaded file named with qbrefresherv1.exe.
- Again hit a click on Yes button to the user account permission.
- Now click on Yes to accept the terms and conditions of the software.
- Once the tool successfully installed on your system click on Fix my QuickBooks and then click on OK button.
You may also read: Methods to Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release
Solution 5: Use Encryption Software on the System
- Encrypting your company file is not recommended by Intuit and any other QuickBooks ProAdvisor
- If you want to disable the software, then you will have to contact your encryption software vendor.
Solution 6: Fix Multi-user problem in QuickBooks
Follow the below given steps to get your QuickBooks Desktop multi-user network up and running again:
- The QB user can also use the QB Online application to open/access the company files from some other location.
- User can also transport the company files to a local drive that is often C drive of the computer to neglect the hassles.
- Ensure that the encrypted applications are disabled.
- User must try to see the QuickBooks problem after restarting the server and device. This generally resolve the problem…!
- Set your device on the multi-user mode.
- Install the QuickBooks Database Manager on the device to neglect the QB errors.
- Rename the .TLG and .ND extension files.
- Make sure that server have proper internet connection.
- QuickBooks application must be updated on the latest released version.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error?
Solution 7: Move your company files to the local hard drive
- It is suggested to move the company file to the local hard drive if the error continues and also if the company file is stored on a removable drive or online.
- Also, store QuickBooks files on the server system’s hard drive.
- Avoid storing the files on removable drives
- Avoid encrypting the QuickBooks files on the hard drive storing them, as it can block the multi-user network connection.
Solution 8: Run QuickBooks database server manager
- At first open the tool hub program and hit on the Network issues.
- Go for the QuickBooks database server manager. Now you will be asked to Install the QuickBooks software on the server
- Open database server manager after download and install and select Start scan option if you see the company files.
- Now the database server manager will fix the Firewall permissions on its own.
- After that close the tab and open QuickBooks
Solution 9: Use Quick fix my program
- The user can make use of the QuickBooks tool hub to access the quick fix my program
- Followed by selecting the program problems
- The user should then select Quick fix my program
- And launch QuickBooks desktop and open the company file
Solution 10: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- The very first step is to open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and then head to the installation issues tab
- And select the install diagnostic tool
- Wait for the system configurations that are out of date, as it might take time
- Now, access the company file once more to check if error 6189, 816 were fixed when the QuickBooks repair process was complete
I hope this technical blog provides you enough knowledge so that you can solve the QuickBooks Error code 6189, 816. If you need immediate support for this error – you can get in touch with our 24*7 QuickBooks support team by dialing our toll-free number i.e. 1-888-351-0999.